Very little is known about the first Finley RSL Sub branch, but it was formed towards the end of 1919, and is believed that most meetings were conducted in private residences.
In 1946, 22 diggers began meeting in a local store on a weekly basis and decided to form a Returned Soldiers Club.
Meetings were held every Friday night to play cards, darts and other games. They decided to get their own premises and the purchase of a former Army hut from Hay was arranged, and installed on a Denison St block.
The number of members increased so the Club acquired a full liquor license, which was granted on Christmas Eve 1955.
The establishment housed two billiard tables, a table tennis table, three one-shilling poker machines and a bar.
The Finley Returned Soldiers Club then purchased a former hostel/hall from the Tocumwal Catholic School for around £1,200.
This had previously been the Tocumwal Aerodrome CWO Hut from the war years. The hall was moved to the present Club site in Tocumwal Street in 1963.
This was a decent sized weatherboard construction, which was then expanded in stages, and converted in the early 1970s to a brick two-story building as it now stands.
In the early 1970s the original weatherboard building was expanded in stages and converted to a brick two-story as it now stands. The club was then formed into a limited company, and on 9 October 1972 became the “Finley Returned Soldiers Club Ltd”!
As They Say, The Rest Is Finley History!
Call The Finley RSC On 03 5883 1366!
Get access to our popular member-only draws, and enjoy great benefits, by becoming a club member today!
Looking for something to do in Finley? Get among the action with new friends and old at the Finley Bowls Club, or Finley Squash Club!
Looking for a good time with friends, or want to host your next meeting or birthday party?
© 2018 Finley RSC